Real talk today – I’ve got vacation brain.
Let’s face it. It’s summer time and everyone is catching sun on the beach…except me. I’m still working that 9-5 grind at the office, filling in the gaps for those gone and it is incredibly hard to stay focused. Anyone with me? I think there’s a term for this feeling…FOMO (fear of missing out)? Yea, that’s totally me right now.
My husband and I have started a tradition where we take our big vacations every October after the summer travel seasons have died down and most folks are back to their routines. Now don’t get me wrong, October is an amazing time to travel, but it’s so hard to watch the summer simmer down and come to and end before we step foot on the beach.
So, this vacay brain thing has got to get gone…and I mean fast. October is still a few months away and I can’t waste time being unfocused and daydreaming about my toes in the sand. Easier said than done.
If you are struggling with vacation brain like me, first of all – I’d love to know so that I don’t feel alone and second, here are some tips that will hopefully pull us through till we find ourselves with a drink in our hand by the water. Our time is coming, so let’s do this thing!
- Clean up the small tasks // You know those petty tasks that haunt you every day, but you just keep putting them off? For me that’s cleaning up my desktop or filing emails. I know I need to do them, but its just not priority most days. Do those! Get it done and move on. Cleaning up your digital work space is like purging a closet, it feels incredible.
- Treat yo self // You are dragging that bootay into work day in and day out – you deserve a treat every now and again. What better way to motivate yourself during the work week than to know there’s a treat in the end? Buy a new outfit for your vacation or try a new restaurant for date night. P.S. – This is the perfect time to find some deals on those summer clothes you’ve been eyeing all season. Grab them before they are gone.
- Set daily goals // If you know me, you know I’m a goal setter. I love a good to-do list and I’m totally motivated by crossing things off my list during the week. Keep a running to-do list to keep you focused and on track to finish up all those deliverables before it’s your turn to travel. Trust me, you will be thankful you did.
- Workout // We all know that as the summer dies down, so does the gym. Folks are away or just back to their old ways and that makes for the perfect time to get your sweat on. Keep up with that routine to help stay motivated.
- Take a break // There’s nothing better than getting away for the weekend after a long work week. Am I right? One of the most relaxing and recharging ways to get you through that vacation brain is to take a mini weekend vacay! Yes girl! Set out on a road trip this weekend to explore and find new things. A few weekends ago the husband surprised me with a getaway to a mini resort in Tulsa…ummm I seriously felt like I was on the beach (a.k.a there was a really sweet pool and stellar rooms) and it was the best thing ever. You should totally try it.
Here’s a quick peek at where we visited for our mini weekend getaway!
I totally didn’t get a photo of the amazing pool here because well… I was too busy acting like I was on vacation. 🙂
Whatever you do, stick to the grind and put in the time. It will all be worth it when you make it to your vacation destination.
If you liked this, you might also enjoy these!